[sudo-users] manpage says that ssh-askpass is in /usr/X11R6/bin but it varies between systems

Arkadiusz Drabczyk arkadiusz at drabczyk.org
Mon May 20 06:59:43 MDT 2024

Just want to say that ssh-askpass doesn't live in /usr/X11R6/bin on
most today's systems. There is /usr/X11R6/bin/ssh-askpass on OpenBSD
7.5 but on other systems it's in a different location:

On FreeBSD it's in /usr/local/bin/ssh-askpass ->
/usr/local/bin/x11-ssh-askpass

On Debian it's in /usr/bin/ssh-askpass or /bin/ssh-askpass ->
/etc/alternatives/ssh-askpass ->
/usr/libexec/ssh-askpass/x11-ssh-askpass.

On Fedora it's in /usr/libexec/openssh/x11-ssh-askpass.

On Arch it's in /usr/lib/ssh/x11-ssh-askpass.

On Slackware it's in /usr/libexec/x11-ssh-askpass.

I know that /usr/X11R6/bin/ssh-askpass is just an example and not
something that should work with each sudo installation but I think
package maintainers could patch the manpage and specify a correct path
to ssh-askpass on the local system.

--
Arkadiusz Drabczyk <arkadiusz at drabczyk.org>